Saturday, October 18, 2008

Montevideo, Uruguay

So last tuesday morning I took an early BuqueBus to Colonia del Sacramento, on the Uruguayan side of the Plata, and then a 2-hour bus, heading east to Montevideo.

I expected Montevideo to be as charming as Buenos Aires but my expectations were not confirmed. La Ciudad Vieja in Montevideo has indeed its charm, but I was surprised about how the buildings are a bit like left behind, with low/non-existent maitenance to preserve their, once beautiful, façades.

The weather was crap, cold and rainy, which did not help much. Close to the port, the city composes an interesting scenario, still reflecting its recent industrial past. Many big warehouses occupy the area and I sometimes felt like beeing in some kind of ciudad fantasma.

The food in Uruguay is very similar to the food in its neighbor Argentina and I had the chance to taste a juicy bife del vasio in a small restaurant located in the charming Mercado del Puerto and finished the day with the local´s favourite chivito (similar to the Brazilian X-Churrasco).








No comments: